We strive to take good care of our homes, so that everything is in good order, especially our plumbing system. Plumbing problems can cause a lot of mental strain and anxiety, if not taken care of time. Problems of clogged drains are quite common and account for 50% of plumbing problems. At times drains get clogged due to problems with the drainage pipes but many times it is due to our mistakes. Save your money and reduce all your anxiety by taking a few steps to prevent clogging of drains.
Tips From Experts:
Clogged drains can be an emergency and need immediate attention. No one likes overflowing sinks or toilets. This can get real nasty and unhygienic at the same time, especially when you have guests at home. Some clogs can happen overnight if something large gets stuck in the drain suddenly. While most other clogs happen slowly and provide ample time to the residents to tackle the problem. If the clog is not removed on time, you will have to call professionals to remove it.
Safeguard Your Sinks:
- In case you do not have any kind of garbage disposal, do not use your sink as a garbage disposal system. Do not let food scraps go down. You can also use a strain in the sink which will keep all such scraps away.
- You can also pour some boiling water down this drain at least one time in a week. This will help in removing grease or fat which often get collected in the pipes.
- Never pour oil or grease down this drain. Grease tends to stick by the sides of the pipes. It leads to clogging.
- If you have a garbage disposal, you need to keep some kinds of food away from this. Foods which are usually sticky and thick are not good for the drains and tend to clog them.
Safeguard Your Bathroom:
- Keep your bathroom tub and sink clean. Keep cleaning the drain stoppers regularly. Soap scum and also hair often gets stuck in the sink and tub, which causes slow draining and later clogging.
- You should not flush away heavy paper products from the toilet. If there is excessive paper, it can clog your toilet. The sewer system can ultimately get clogged.
If you notice a slight clog or water seems to be moving out slowly, try and find out the cause of such clogs. It is important to prevent clogs from occurring, rather than calling your plumbing provider to stop the clogs.
- Use Drain Screens – To prevent recurring clogging of the drains, start using drain screens on the drains. These screens fit well on the drain opening. They help in preventing scum, hair, food and other types of material from getting stuck in the drain. These screens are easily available and are easy to use.
Carry out regular repairs and maintenance of your plumbing system. If you carry our regular maintenance services, it will help in detecting any probable problem with your drainage system.